WHEREAS, it is the desire of the Board of Supervisors to promote the safety and welfare of the citizens of Westmoreland County; and
WHEREAS, the Board of Supervisors is concerned that our young citizens who desire to participate in traditional Halloween Trick or Treat activities do so in a safe and orderly manner;
NOW, THEREFORE the Westmoreland County Board of Supervisors hereby proclaims
SAFETY FIRST ON HALLOWEEN
AND encourages all citizens of Westmoreland County to promote and observe the following safety guidelines:
- Parents are asked to supervise the Halloween Trick or Treat activities of their children and to insure that Trick or Treat activities are limited to children under the age of 16 years.
- Trick or Treat hours will be observed from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 30, 2021.
- Residents who wish to participate in Trick or Treat are asked to leave a porch light, or other outdoor light, on during these hours.
- Parents are asked to explain to children that homes with no outdoor light are not participating in Trick or Treat and that these homes should be passed up during these activities.
- It is also recommended for the safety of our children that parental supervision be extended to include insistence that children do no consume any "treats" until closely examined by their parents. Parents should follow the rule "if in doubt - throw it out" where evidence of tampering with packaging or surfaces of consumable product exists.
- Citizens are encouraged to follow guidance issued by the Virginia Department of Health on participating in Halloween events in order to minimize the opportunity for COVID-19 transmission.
These guidelines are set forth in the hope that all citizens of Westmoreland County who so desire to participate will enjoy a happy, safe, and orderly Halloween.