Westmoreland County's public safety personnel are trained and ready to prevent harm to you and your property and to respond effectively to routine matters, emergencies and disasters when they occur.
Whom To Call In An Emergency
Dial 911 to report a local fire, crime, life-threatening situation or other emergency. Provide the phone number you are calling from, the community name, the street address and the nature of the emergency.
How To Prepare For A Disaster
It pays to be prepared before disaster strikes. Knowing what to do and where to go in case of severe weather or other emergency can mean the difference between life and death for you, your family, your neighbors and your pets.
Our "All Hazards" Preparedness Brochure and the Ready Virginia Emergency Brochure are great places to start-today. The onset of a major storm or other potential disaster is too late to make sure you have emergency supplies, adequate insurance, and a plan for how your family members can find each other if they're separated.
Other useful information about emergency preparedness is available from Ready Virginia, the Virginia Department of Emergency Management and the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
If you or anyone in your household will require special assistance in an emergency evacuation, complete and return a Special Needs Information and Response Card to the County Administration Office so arrangements can be made. This information is kept confidential.
Emergency Information and Alert System
Tune to radio stations WRAR (105.5 FM), WNNT (100.9 FM), WGRQ (95.9 FM) or WFLS (93.3 FM). Make sure you always have a battery-operated radio with fresh batteries on hand. Television messages will be broadcast on WTVR (Channel 6), WRIC (Channel 8), WBBT (Channel 12) and local government access cable Channel 2. The hearing impaired can receive emergency information on the Telephone Device for the Deaf (TDD) at 804-493-8066.
Other Important Public Safety Contacts
- Child Abuse Hotline 1-800-552-7096
- Poison Center 1-800-552-6337
- COPE Crisis Line 1-800-542-2673
- Family Violence and Sexual Assault Hotline 1-800-838-8238
- The Haven Shelter for Battered Women 1-800-22-HAVEN (224-2836)
- Missing Children's Information Clearing House 1-800-822-4453
- National Center for Missing & Exploited Children 1-800-843-5678
- National Response Center & Terrorist Hotline
- (Oil & Toxic Chemical Spills: Terrorist Activity) 1-800-424-8802
- National Runaway Switchboard 1-800-621-4000